White vinegar, also called spirit vinegar, is one of the most common items for our homes. It is a purely liquid with a harsh taste and has a pH of about 2.4. White Vinegar is made distilled alcohol is being fermented.
It is used in cooking, baking, preservation of meat and pickling, as well as marinades, sauces and salad spicing. A lot of persons also use it for medicinal, industrial and cleaning purposes.
Below are 10 awesome uses of white vinegar that you may not be aware of.
If your skin is quick to having acne, you can say bye-bye to breakouts with the help of white vinegar.
It is a powerful antiseptic agent that combats microbial activity. Plus, it helps restore the pH balance of the skin. It even helps terminate the bacteria that causes acne breakouts. However, avoid using white vinegar for occasional pimples as it may not be gentle on skin.
- Dilute white vinegar with same amount of water.
- Wash the affected skin with a mild cleanser and pat dry with a towel.
- Use a cotton bud to apply the vinegar solution on areas where acne is spotted.
- Allow 5 minutes before washing it off with cool water.
- Apply an oil-free moisturizer.
- Use this treatment once or twice daily for some days.
Note: Do not use white vinegar on sensitive skin.
Soothes Sunburned Skin
If you have a bad sunburn, one of the best home solutions is white vinegar as it has astringent properties that help relieve pain, itching and inflammation.
Add 2 cups of vinegar to your bathwater and soak in it for 20 to 30 minutes everyday for a few days.
You can also, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of white vinegar to a bowl of cool water. Soak a cloth in it, wring out the excess liquid and put it on the affected skin. Repeat the previous after 10 minutes. Continue this until the skin begins to feel better. Use this remedy as needed.
Takes Away Unpleasant Smell
White vinegar can help eliminate unpleasant smell. It can deodorize body odor, vaginal odor and bad breath. It is also effective when used in our homes in eliminating bad odors.
- For body odors, mix equal amounts of vinegar and water. Use the solution to wash the affected area twice daily until the odor is gone.
- For bad breath, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a glass of water that is neither warm nor cool and gargle with it twice daily.
- To remove the smell of onions, garlic, meat, fish or spices off your hands, wash them with soap and water and then rinse them with vinegar.
- Put a piece of bread soaked in white vinegar in your refrigerator, garbage can or even your room overnight to remove unpleasant odors in these areas.
Makes Hair Healthy and Shiny
White vinegar is fine for keeping healthy hair. It can remove residue buildup from your scalp, treat dandruff, get rid of a smelly scalp and add shine to your hair. It also restore the natural pH level of your scalp, which is much needed for healthy hair.
- For a single hair rinse, mix 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse it with lukewarm or cool water.
- Apply the homemade solution to your hair and scalp. Massage it into your scalp and make sure the solution overwhelms your hair from the roots to the tips.
- Allow some minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Allow your hair air dry.
- Repeat once a week. After a few weeks, repeat once or twice a month.
This treatment works well for people who have dandruff or an oily scalp. To minimize the vinegar odor and instead add a pleasant scent, steep a bag of chamomile, rosemary or some other herbal tea in water and add the vinegar to this solution instead of plain water.
If you see ants parading your home, especially the kitchen area, use white vinegar to get rid of them as strong smell discourages their advances into your home. In addition, its acetic acid helps kill ants.
- Put equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution wherever ants may be found in the home. After a while, wipe up the dead ants with a wet cloth. Repeat once daily until the ants are completely out.
- You can also clean the kitchen counters and floor with this solution always as a very effective measure of preventing ants in our homes.
This solution also works as an insect repellent to fend off mosquitoes, houseflies and other insects from your house.
Vinegar also works well in eliminating weeds, grass and garden pests and simultaneously improve the pH level of the soil and will not stop the fertility of your garden area.
- Add a few tablespoons of vinegar to a gallon of water an the solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray it on any weeds and unwanted grass. Be careful to only spray weeds and grass, as vinegar’s acidic nature can can damage other plants growing in your garden.
This can as well be sprayed along the boundary line of your garden area to scare away garden pests. More so, it can be used to clean rust off garden equipment by soaking them in undiluted vinegar all through the night.
Treats Sore Throats
White vinegar is very effective in dealing with a bad sore throat because of its antibacterial properties, it can kill the bacteria responsible for the problem.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a glass of warm water. You can add a little salt if you like.
- Gargle with it 2 or 3 times everyday for a few days.
Cleans Dirty Microwaves Dishwashers and Coffee Makers
white vinegar can also be used to keep your microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker and other kitchen equipment clean without spot and odor free.
How To Use:
- Mix ½ cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water in a bowl and heat it in the microwave to 100°c. It will loosen food stains from the walls of the microwave and neutralize any smells.
- Add 1 cup of warm water and 2 cups of white vinegar to the reservoir of your coffee maker and run it through a brewing cycle. Pour out the solution and then clean the coffee maker with water 2 or 3 more times.
- Put a cup of vinegar in your empty dishwasher, then run a complete cycle. It will take out buildup of mineral deposits and keep your dishwasher smelling nice.
Keeps Kitchen Counters Clean
It is essential to clean surfaces where food is being made to enable maximum protection against infection and prevent the spread of bacteria. You can use vinegar to clean kitchen counters, cutting boards, sinks, garbage cans, dishes, knives, utensils, pots and pans.
- In a spray bottle, add equal amounts of white vinegar and water. Spray the solution onto kitchen surfaces, countertops, inside the refrigerator and faucets. Allow 10 minutes, then wipe the area with a clean paper towel.
- To clean off greasy stains on your kitchen utensils, dilute vinegar with water and soak the items in it for 5 minutes. Then scrub away the grease with a soft sponge.
Cleans Hardwood Floors
When it has got to do with cleaning hardwood floors or wood furniture, the simplest solution is vinegar. Experts recommends the use of white vinegar and water as the best hardwood floor cleaner and will make hardwood sparkling.
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water and use the solution to mop your hardwood floor. It will help clean and sanitize as well as bringing back your floor’s beautiful sparkle.
- For cleaning wood furniture, simply rub the surface with a cloth soaked in undiluted white vinegar.
You can as well use vinegar on glass and mirrors to make it clean and shining.